Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan is a Historical Fiction book set in the 30s during the Great Depression. Esperanza and her family live in Mexico on El Rancho de las Rosas. The night before Esperanza’s 13th birthday, her father is killed by bandits on a cattle drive. Then her uncle burns their house down after her mom refuses to marry him. Esperanza’s life is turned upside down as her and her mom immigrate to California to work with their servants family. Esperanza’s mother gets sick and put in the hospital and Esperanza grows up leaving her “royalty” life and turning into a hard working young girl. The hardships the immigrants in this book encounter are a clear-cut description of real life situations immigrants faced in the 30s.

Surprisingly I really liked this book. I am a fantasy person and I would rather read about flying into Neverland versus people dying and houses being destroyed. I think the author’s use of setting is what made me like this book so much. I felt like I could feel and see what Esperanza felt and saw.

My favorite part of the book was the connection Esperanza had with her father growing up. I am my dad’s baby girl and even though we never laid on the ground to listen to the Earth’s heart beat, we had many moments together that have made huge imprints in my heart. I love this book and recommend it to anyone to read!

No comments: