Saturday, April 19, 2008

See Spot Run!!!!

After class on Friday I was reminded of how I learned to read in kindergarten. We had this set of books, and the one I remember the most is a green one. They were old, old, old! They had black electrical duct tape on the spine because they were falling apart, you could tell how used they were because the pages were tented yellow and the cover of the book was ripping at the edges. See, I’m from a small country town called Moulton, population is about 994 (I think). We are stuck in the old western times! Not really, but we really are a small country town and our school doesn’t really change much. Let me show you how.
I came home this weekend and I was telling my mom about my English professor asking if any one learned how to read from the Dick and Jane Books. My mom told me, “I learned how to read from those books. Actually the same copies you learned off of in school.” I was like WHAT? That is so horrible-my school didn’t even buy new books? Then my mom continued to tell me, “You know what they did?” I thought, no telling with Moulton. She said, “They found a company that restores books and they sent off all the copies and had them redone.” I was like WHAT? Really, you’re not joking? And she wasn’t! They are still reading those same books that I learned how to read from, that my mother learned how to read from!!!
See Spot. See Spot Run!!!

No comments: