Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Jolly Barnyard

Summary: It’s Farmer Brown’s birthday and he makes his daily rounds feeding each of his animals. Then the animals decide what they can do for him on his birthday. The horse and colt pull his load with out a jolt, the cow will give him milk, the sheep will give him wool, the turkey will decorate his Thanksgiving table, the hen will give him eggs, the rooster will wake him up, the duck will give him eggs, the drake will swim on his pond for luck, the dog will guard his house, and the cat and kitten will catch his mice. When Farmer Brown gets inside, his wife has a birthday cake for him!

The Jolly Barnyard is one of my favorite books! Of course I like this book because I grew up on a farm. I also love this book because of its illustrations. They make it seem so real, like you are actually on the farm. Another reason I like it is because it rhymes on every page. For example, “First he took a pan of oats, of course, to the baby colt and the mother horse.” The rhyming it uses makes it fun to read and fun for children to listen to. Another reason I like this book is because I think it is a great book to use to teach a farm animal lesson. It talks about the different animals on the farm and their names. It also mentions what each one eats. And one of the more important things it teaches is the sound the animals make. Once I have my own classroom, I will definitely use this book to help teach my farm lesson!

No comments: