Friday, February 1, 2008

The Jolly Barnyard Activity

Since I am going to be a teacher one day, I try to think of activities I can use in my classroom. One idea I have thought of goes along with The Jolly Barnyard by Annie North Bedford. It would be for kindergarten level and I would read the book to the students and give a lesson on the different farm animals, their names, and the sound they each make. Then I would have a hands on activity they could do that involves classification of animals and using fine motor skills. The children will have a sheet that has pictures of different farm animals attached by Velcro. The students will also have a chart broken up into different categories labeled by the names and the sound the animal makes with spots of Velcro to reattach the pictures. The students’ job would be to move all the pictures of the cows onto the cow/moo row, all the pictures of the sheep onto the sheep/baa row, and so forth. I think The Jolly Barnyard would be a great story to use with this activity because it goes through the names of each animal and the sound that they make. Using the book to introduce the lesson and help aid the students will result in great success of the activity.

No comments: