Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

I really like this book for many reasons. I think that it shows a myriad of different points. Obviously, the main one would be, be careful what you wish for.
I think it shows parents’ love for their children. This is portrayed while Sylvester’s parents stay up all night wondering what had happened, and how they went about asking all the neighbors, all the children, and even the police.
I think it shows community support when they dogs of Oatsdale go about searching for him behind every rock, tree, and blade of grass.
It also talks about the seasons. The days grew colder and the leaves changed color during the fall. The winds blew and it snowed during the winter. The Earth warmed up, the snow melted, the sun came out and the flowers grew during the spring.
My favorite part would have to be the last page. “Mr. Duncan put the magic pebble in an iron safe. Some day they might want to use it, but really, for now, what more could they wish for? They all had all that they wanted.” This shows that all you really need to be happy is your family and love.
I will definitely use this book in my classroom one day.

No comments: