Saturday, February 23, 2008

Childhood memories

Growing up I loved hearing stories. Made up stories, stories about my family, stories out of a book, any kind of stories, I loved them all. I can remember sitting in my bed with my father on one side and my mother on the other, and they would read story after story to me. Sometimes we had a family story night and we would all sit on or around the couch. It would be my older brother, my older sister, my little brother, my mom, my dad, and I, and we would spend the entire evening telling stories or reading stories. My little brother was the best story teller. He would tell us stories about how last night he chased a coyote all the way down to the river and then our dog, Buck, came and killed the coyote. Then he tried to carry the coyote back up to the house but it melted and disappeared. Unrealistic stories, but hilarious to hear.
I keep reflecting back to growing up and the importance that stories and literature had in my life. Regardless if a kid is hearing a story, help reading a story, or making up a story, they are having valuable interactions with literature which is very important.
One day when I start my own family I hope I can have a story night like we did.
Also, when I have my classroom one day, I hope to give my students opportunities to make memories like I have.

No comments: