Saturday, March 29, 2008

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

This story shows how a young girl, India Opal Buloni, grows as she must learn some of the hardest lessons in life. Opal faces a daily struggle to understand more about her mother, who left when she was only three years old. She and her father have just moved to a new town. In the small town of Naomi, Florida, one trip to the local Winn-Dixie grocery store and the following summer’s adventures change Opal and help her through her struggles. Through the new people she meets, Opal learns about friendship, forgiveness, love, and life. The author really speaks to young reader through her book because they deal with some of he same struggles as Opal and the learn many of the same lessons.
My favorite part of the book was chapter 9. I think its funny how everyone thought a witch lived there and she would eat the dog; making the woman out to be a cruel, evil person. However, the lady turned out to be a nice sweet lady. My favorite line is, “Why don’t you go on and tell me everything about yourself, so as I can see you with my heart” (page 66). This made me smile because I grew up in a small town and everyone had their thoughts of each other, but no one really knew the truth. Kind of like don’t judge a book by its cover!

No comments: