Sunday, March 2, 2008

Identity

In the book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, identity is a major theme identified through out the book. I really didn’t like this book because Alice was extremely ditsy, and I really don’t like ditsy people! But I could relate to this book when it comes to identity.
When I was younger, before my freshman year of high school, I was known as Eric Rother’s baby sister. I was never Tawnya, I was never the 4-H member, I was never the all A student, or the girl who did every sport, I was Eric Rother’s baby sister. Then I started high school and I was no longer Eric Rother’s baby sister, I was Danielle’s little sister. All my life I was known to people by my older brother and sister, it was so confusing to me. When some one would ask me, “Who are you,” I automatically replied, “Oh I’m Eric’s baby sister and Danielle’s little sister.”
Now I’m in college and identity is still an issue for me. Am I Tawnya, the secretary at St. Joseph Hospital, am I Tawnya, the girl who studies to much, am I Tawnya, the future teacher or the future principal?
While reading this book, it really made me think, if someone asked me today who am I, what would I reply?
Having this first hand experience of connecting to literature will surely help me in my classroom one day. Someone can connect to a text in many different ways. For me, it was being confused about who I am, just like Alice was.

No comments: